|Goldie and the Distinctive Block Pattern at Robinon's|
A little bit about the building from Palm Springs Preservation Foundation:
Constructed from 1957-1958 at a cost of $280,000 on land purchased from Palm Springs pioneer Pearl McManus, the J.W. Robinson Department Store Building was designed by the Los Angeles-based architectural firm of Charles Luckman Associates and William L. Pereira. Located on the southwest corner of South Palm Canyon Drive and West Baristo Avenue, the pavilion-style modernist building is dramatically elevated from the street level by four long horizontal concrete steps that create both a sense of arrival and impart a sense importance to the building. The building won the AIA’s “First Honor Award” for 1958.
This structure was declared a Class One historic site in November of 2012.
|Photo of Robinsons from approx 1966|